C64 game franchises that weren't
I was just wondering why some movie and T.V. show franchises that (I think) would have made excellent games on the C64 never made an appearance.  Today, there are several developers remaking old C64 games (Terrestrial, Rocky & Co., Good Night, etc) but I'd much rather see something new to choose from.

A couple of franchises instantly come to my mind.  First, is Battlestar Galactica. Intellivision did release a game that was intended to be based on Battlestar Galactia, but they couldn't get the licensing rights.  So, it was released as "Space Battle".  It's not one of the more popular games for the system, but I liked it and played it a lot.  As far as I know, there hasn't been a port of this game to the C64, so taking Space Battle and giving it a C64 facelift would be cool to see.  It would even be nice to see it as a Battlestar Galactica game, with the appropriate graphics and soundtrack.  I've imagined how the battle sequences could be improved upon, over the original on the Intellivision, but the idea of a strategy space shooter was out of the ordinary for the time and it would still be a nice change from the stand by space shooters we commonly see today.

One movie franchise I always thought would make an interesting game on the C64 was Tremors.  Talk about some interesting characters and monsters you could have fun with from those films!  I always pictured it as a sort of overhead 2.5D shooter or maybe like Gauntlet III sort of deal.  You could play as Val or Burt (from the movie) and pick up different weapons as you progress, like in the game Predator.  You could carry two at the most, switching between them at will.  And talk about interesting and (what could be) comical monsters to fight; graboids, shreikers and ass-blasters. Oh my!  Wink  Why no one has ever done a Tremors themed game is beyond me.

More recently, we were re-watching a T.V. show from my very early childhood, "U.F.O." and I thought this series had great creative fodder for a game on the C64; not to mention a hip and groovy theme tune (actually I think it's the best theme music for any T.V. show produced).  It could be an excellent multi-stage space / 3D shooter.  You could do a horizontal shooter for the moon base defense segment of the game and then a 2.5D "into the screen" vertical shooter for the Sky Diver segment.  As a third segment, I imagined a ground defense scenario in which you control a SHADO assault tank, targeting UFO ground troops like in the Raid Over Moscow bazooka segment.  You have a limited amount of shells and the UFO ground troops move towards you in waves and the strategy is to target them in such a way that as one troop explodes (say that they're carrying bombs to destroy your base) he will take out any troops immediately around him.  So the idea is to get them as many as you can in a cascading explosion effect.  Just something different, you know?

The T.V. show Emergency also has all sorts of potential there for some excellent games.

Anyway, probably all sounds silly, but I was just thinking there were some real missed opportunities with game franchises based on some pretty entertaining movies and TV shows.
[-] The following 3 users Like sysop's post:

A tremors game!!!!I'd play that
Moonfall’s an amazing game and it’s got (sand) worms that rate somewhere between Tremors and DuneSmile

M.A.S.H has got a lot of potential for great gaming/games.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jazzghostrider's post:

(08-19-2024, 05:12 PM)Jazzghostrider Wrote: Moonfall’s an amazing game and it’s got (sand) worms that rate somewhere between Tremors and DuneSmile

M.A.S.H has got a lot of potential for great gaming/games.

I've never played Moonfall.  I had no idea that it had sand worms in it.  I'll have to check it out some time.   Thumbs Up