News Spheroid - Work in Progress
Coming soon on all Amiga's, SPHEROID!

A simple puzzle game where you roll a sphere around a maze of titles to get to the exit. Various tiles have various properties, as described on the title screen image below!

Loading screen...

[Image: sphload.png]

Title screen...

[Image: demo-title.png]

Ingame screen...

[Image: ingame3.png]

In action with new title tune...

Nice! Is there a scoring system to the game? If there is, I've missed seeing it in the demo video.
(10-06-2023, 07:58 PM)sysop Wrote: Nice!  Is there a scoring system to the game?  If there is, I've missed seeing it in the demo video.

No, there isn't a scoring system. The gameplay doesn't really lend itself to one.  You could only really score by completing a level which would lead to very 'linear' and 'samey' scores.  This is purely a complete all the levels game!

Some people have commented about scoring before, but the game was 'designed' back in around 1990 so blame 16-year-old me for not having scores! Wink
Well, I suppose the time to complete could be considered a score, in this case. Finish as fast as possible to increase your "score". Wink
(10-07-2023, 08:25 PM)sysop Wrote: Well, I suppose the time to complete could be considered a score, in this case. Finish as fast as possible to increase your "score". Wink

Indeed it could, but it's offset against 'moves'.

The gameplay element here is you are playing against time *AND* moves. Time actually stops counting down when you are on the move, but you use up moves. You can stand still and to spot a route through the 'maze', but then time runs down.

So how to score? Back in the early 90's I did briefly include score with some elaborate calculation base on time left and moves remaining. However, it didn't really add anything because the game is essentially about solving each maze within the time limit and without running out of moves.

When I resumed work on the game back last year and now with a Grandson who enjoys playing games, I kind of realised that 'score' seems to be something that older generations (including me) are concerned with, probably from the old arcade game and pinball days. My young Grandson couldn't give a hoot about score, he just wants to 'beat' the current level and game.

Most of my stuff these days is geared towards my Grandson and scene associates; if he and they enjoy my games, then I'm happy. If other people play and enjoy my games, then that's a bonus!

However, once I've done the C64 and PC ports of Spheroid, I'll probably do sequel in the future with more features. Score could be included then!

Hope that makes sense? Thanks for your comments and interest!
Makes total sense to me. These days, I'm more inclined to think like your grandson in regards to game scores. And I think it's really great that you're making games for him (and friends) to enjoy, rather than "the masses". I know of at least one other fellow forum member here who thinks the same way, regarding game development.
(10-08-2023, 03:57 PM)sysop Wrote: Makes total sense to me. These days, I'm more inclined to think like your grandson in regards to game scores. And I think it's really great that you're making games for him (and friends) to enjoy, rather than "the masses". I know of at least one other fellow forum member here who thinks the same way, regarding game development.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I *DO* want as many people as possible to play it, but it's hard to think big like that when this is only a fun hobby thing for me. As long as some family and friends enjoy it that's great, but it will hopefully scale up also to more people!
Thumbs Up 
The game is now finished. I've added a little end screen, end tune (which I'm obviously not going to show!) and a full credits screen.

Game is compatible with all 1Mb Amiga's. Will run from floppy or HD.

Once final bug testing is complete, it will be released!

[Image: 2spcredits.png]