Open Beta for Lair of the Lich King for the C128!
Game developer, Micah Bly, has been working on an adventure game for the C128 and the 64K expanded VDC called "Lair of the Lich King."  Micah has now released a beta version of the first three levels as a demo, which I'm happy to present here.  Below is a re-posting of Micah's announcement on VCFed.org:

Quote:Hi Folks,

I have a game I've been working on for 2-3 years now, and expect to launch this summer. This game is a "rogue like". If you don't know what that is, it's a dungeon crawler with a randomly generated dungeon, with increasingly deadly monsters as you go down in levels. The demo has 3 levels; the full game has 25+ levels, and 30+ unique monsters, 24 types of magic, various armor and weapons. You will not find fancy bitmapped graphics here: Roguelikes are not supposed to use graphics at all, but I hedged a bit on the C128 version, and have custom character graphics. But essentially, this is my ode to text-based games (but NOT Zork, etc.: this is a hack-n-slash, turn-based game, no typing involved).

If you are interested, and have a C128 (also doing betas for B-128 and Foenix F256), give it a whirl. Feel free to cross-post this, but if you do, I'd appreciate a link so I can track user feedback/bugs. I don't have a dedicated web site yet.

The retail version will have either 3.5" or 5.25" in the box.

NOTE: this requires a 64K VDC chip and an 80 column monitor. The 16K chip won't work. You can, of course, play it on VICE or Z64K, but...

Known issues:
- none

Launch Status:
  • Software: B128 and C128: ready, pending beta testing. F256: 99% ready, needs installer.
  • Manual: complete
  • Registration card, quick start guide: complete
  • Packaging: design complete, box is in-progress. If anyone knows brilliant solutions to getting a 9x6x1 box that I can either put a sleeve on (a la Amiga Falcon), or get graphics printed on, let me know. (without having to sell a kidney, I mean).
  • Web site: not started. Will be SquareSpace probably.
  • Cost: TBD (waiting on packaging and web site)
  • Schedule: TBD. Plan to have at VCF Midwest at very latest.

Link to original posting HERE.

Here are the disk images to download (in the zip file), along with a few screenshots I made of the game...

.zip   lichking-beta-1.zip (Size: 88.6 KB / Downloads: 66)

I played a bit more of the game this evening and came across this little anomaly.  For what ever reason, the wall (to the right of my player) did not appear.  I could not walk any further to the right.  So, I assume there was a wall there, it just wasn't appearing on the screen.