Article Inserting Disk Images in VICE
I have a blog post forthcoming, but just wanted to give everyone a heads up. I've asked a couple of times elsewhere:

Quote:Is there a way to "insert" a floppy disk into VICE without using the "File -> Attach..." dialog box chain, like drag 'n' drop, but without automatically executing the disk? (at least doesn't work on VICE 3.3)

I figured out a way - easy drag 'n' drop of .d64 images and BOOM! ...disk now attached.  Funny thing is, I think most will say, "Well Duh!".  I know I did, and can't believe no one has posted about this method!

Details coming soon!!  Wound up staying up making the post: http://www.living8bit.com/VICE_Emulator/...disks.8bit

Enjoy!

--Living8Bit
Thanks for sharing this! It's always nice to have options on how to do things like this. I usually just use ALT-8 or ALT-9 to attach a disk image (saves me from having to leave the keyboard switch to the mouse). But, for people who prefer drag-and-drop functionality, this is great to have available.
(06-01-2023, 04:42 PM)sysop Wrote: Thanks for sharing this!  It's always nice to have options on how to do things like this. I usually just use ALT-8 or ALT-9 to attach a disk image (saves me from having to leave the keyboard switch to the mouse).  But, for people who prefer drag-and-drop functionality, this is great to have available.

My only issue with the Alt-# method is you still have to navigate the file dialog box.  Plus, in Vice 3.3 (on Linux), double clicking the D64 launches the disk, I still need to move the mouse to the "Open" button to just attach.  So if you have several disks you're swapping between, especially in different directories, you still end up doing a bunch of point/clicks - the Alt-8 only saves me two.
Yes, if you have a lot of directories to navigate, it can be pain.  I keep my disk images in a particular folder, so I'm usually only one sub-directory away from the group of disk I wish to use.  The bash script I wrote to launch X64SC first changes directory to my Commodore disk image directory and then starts VICE from there.  Then, when I do the ALT-8 command, I've got a head start and require minimum navigation.