The Game Modem
There are some cool modern devices for the C64 and C128 but I'd like to see someone build something like the game modem from the 80's for the Atari 2600. It's been reimagined as the PlusCart with wi-fi instead of a 300 baud modem.

Imagine playing any C64 or C128 program online on the real hardware and finding new demos and games show up magically as they are released Smile

Here's mine with a clear custom case:

I can already do something similar to this with my Comet64 and RetroSwitch Flyer, and using the online services of CommodoreServer.com and their V1541 "virtual drive", I can load and run games on my real C64 or C128 from the Internet. I just plug them in to the Internet via ethernet and my router Is this along the same lines as what you're talking about?

The service also provides for disk image sharing, too, so you could access any disks that others wish to share among the users. I have a section of my blog site dedicated to the service, if you want to learn more about it. https://www.my64.in.nf/doku.php?id=v1541

The unfortunate thing is, they no longer make either devices for real hardware, but it does work with VICE.

The Intellivision had something similar, back in the day, which "downloaded" games via cable T.V. It was a subscription service that ran for a little while. But, I think it was pretty expensive and not many cable companies offered the "channel".
(10-04-2023, 04:38 AM)sysop Wrote: I can already do something similar to this with my Comet64 and RetroSwitch Flyer, and using the online services of CommodoreServer.com and their V1541 "virtual drive", I can load and run games on my real C64 or C128 from the Internet. I just plug them in to the Internet via ethernet and my router. Is this along the same lines as what you're talking about?

The service also provides for disk image sharing, too, so you could access any disks that others wish to share among the users. I have a section of my blog site dedicated to the service, if you want to learn more about it. https://www.my64.in.nf/doku.php?id=v1541

The unfortunate thing is, they no longer make either devices for real hardware, but it does work with VICE.

The Intellivision had something similar, back in the day, which "downloaded" games via cable T.V. It was a subscription service that ran for a little while. But, I think it was pretty expensive and not many cable companies offered the "channel".

This is very cool! I was reading your blog it looks similar to the command syntax for hard drives or the UIEC_SD, like the "OPEN 15,9,15,"CD:directory" syntax. Is that supported too in addition to the new commands for the device?

I definitely want to pick one of these up when they are back in stock, it looks like the site has plans to reissue the modem:
http://www.commodoreserver.com/ProductVi...C08BA34803
I'd really like to see them start producing again, too.  In the past, Goog (the lead developer) mentioned that he was going to include WiFi support in the next version.  But the wait for version 2 has been a long one.

The Virtual Drive syntax does support directories and responds as device "2", and then emulates up to ten "disk drives" within device channel 2 (if I am indeed referencing it properly).  So, let's say you wanted to copy a file from a disk image attache to drive 0 over to the disk image attached to drive 1, you would:
Code:
LOAD ">COPY 0 : PROGRAM-NAME, 1:NEW-NAME", 2