A $20K C65 just to GO64?
I just finished watching The 8 Bit Guy's latest video about his review of the Commodore C65 prototype.  He mentioned that sometimes one of the prototypes (somewhere between 100 - 200 are estimated to exist) show up on eBay and sell for well over $20K when they do.

Now, I can understand that the C65 is a very rare computer, but I just don't think owning one is worth that kind of money.  I mean, you really can't do anything with it, anyway.  The 8 Bit Guy, himself, said that because of the differences between the versions of C65 that do exist, they aren't even compatible between themselves.  So, there's really no software out there for them to be of any use whatsoever.  You can GO64 and run C64 software on it, but only if you can copy your programs from 5-1/4 disks to 3-1/2.  That's a pretty expensive C64 sitting there.

I know, it's all ego, to be able to say "I own a C65", but come-on.... you can't think of a more productive thing to do with twenty-plus grand?  LOL!

The video:

[-] The following 1 user Likes sysop's post:

I was amazed to see Atari 2600 collectors paying 30K for Air Raid carts.
By comparison this seems the better deal.
(01-30-2024, 05:11 PM)Mr SQL Wrote: I was amazed to see Atari 2600 collectors paying 30K for Air Raid carts.

That's insane, if you ask me.
(01-30-2024, 08:07 PM)sysop Wrote:
(01-30-2024, 05:11 PM)Mr SQL Wrote: I was amazed to see Atari 2600 collectors paying 30K for Air Raid carts.

That's insane, if you ask me.

Not to an avid collector who wants to obtain every cart for the system.

There are a few other rare Atari carts going for upwards of 10K. 

Are any must have carts sought by C64 collectors?