TurboDisk Fastloader from Compute!
Floppy 
I posted this on that "other C64 forum" just before it got unexpectedly shut down.� Even though I've blogged about it on my own Commodore site, I thought it was interesting enough to post here, as well.

I happened across a very interesting 1541 fast loader, called TurboDisk, by Don Lewis. It was originally published in issue #59 of Compute! Magazine, back in 1985.� According to the article, TurboDisk increased the 1541's LOAD speed by a factor of three times or more. What makes this fast loader stand out (at least for me) is that it's the only one I've seen that loads part of itself into the 1541's CPU, which works in tandem with the other portion running on the C64. I thought that was pretty cool! So, I just had to give it a try.

I took the time to type in the program from the PDF I have of the Compute! article, but you can just download the attached D64 disk image to save yourself some time, if you want to try it.� However, if you'd like to type it in yourelf, you can find a copy of the article over on AtariMagazine.com, HERE.

The program that you type in isn't the fast loader, itself. It's actually �preparation� program which creates a machine language program on your floppy disk, which is the fast loader that gets saved to disk. Then, when you want to use it, you LOAD the program and run it by issuing an SYS49152 command. The TurboDisk then loads a portion of itself to the 1541 and is then ready for use.

All of the details about how the program works can be found on the AtrariMagazine's page. But, the big question is, does it work? You bet it does, and it works pretty darn good, too! From what I can tell, the larger the program, the faster it seems to go.

Here is a video I've recorded of a side-by-side comparison of loading a game with and without TurboDisk. The game I'm loading is LazerTech and is 108 blocks in size. On the left is VICE running normally, with no TurboDisk and no �warp mode�. On the right is VICE with TurboDisk loaded and ready to go. You'll see there's quite a variation in LOAD times. I was quite impressed.

https://www.my64.in.nf/lib/exe/fetch.php...k-demo.mp4

Attached Files
.d64   64turbodisk.d64 (Size: 170.75 KB / Downloads: 128)
I remember typing�in�TurboTape was amazed at how much faster programs loaded. It was close or sometimes faster than 1541 and TSAVED programs did not need any additional software to turbo load.

The original Compute magazine article in issue #56
https://archive.org/details/1985-01-comp...ew=theater
Thanks for that link to the original! Yes, I was amazed at how well it worked, too.

Update:
Oh... that is to Turbo Tape! (Sorry, I was reading too fast) I'm going to have to try that one out, too!
The Compute issue #56 with�TurboTape�missing pages 129-130 so might be missing some DATA statements.

The end of the article however,�mentions the next Compute issue (#57)�going over how TurboTape works.

Here is a link for the curious:
https://archive.org/details/1985-02-comp...3/mode/2up
(09-11-2022, 01:25 AM)8bitflynn Wrote: The Compute issue #56 with�TurboTape�missing pages 129-130 so might be missing some DATA statements.

The end of the article however,�mentions the next Compute issue (#57)�going over how TurboTape works.

Here is a link for the curious:
https://archive.org/details/1985-02-comp...3/mode/2up

Yeah!� I saw that.� Thanks for mentioning it, though.� I was able to find a complete PDF of the magazine on bombjack.org so I've been working with that.

I just love this sort of thing. � Big Grin
If anyone wants to try Turbo Tape for themselves, here's the disk image with the setup program (from the magazine) as well as the resulting Turbo Tape tape loader/saver program.� Refer to the article in Compute! for instructions on how to use it.

Attached Files
.d64   turbotape.d64 (Size: 170.75 KB / Downloads: 114)
(08-09-2022, 04:04 AM)sysop Wrote: [...]
Here is a video I've recorded of a side-by-side comparison of loading a game with and without TurboDisk. The game I'm loading is LazerTech and is 108 blocks in size. On the left is VICE running normally, with no TurboDisk and no �warp mode�. On the right is VICE with TurboDisk loaded and ready to go. You'll see there's quite a variation in LOAD times. I was quite impressed.

https://www.my64.in.nf/lib/exe/fetch.php...k-demo.mp4

On a side note, what's the slider bar on the lower-right of the VICE window?
(09-11-2022, 08:44 PM)living8bit Wrote: On a side note, what's the slider bar on the lower-right of the VICE window?

Volume level... I think.� But, it never did anything for me and I thought it was because I ran it on my Linux desktop via WINE.
(08-09-2022, 04:04 AM)sysop Wrote: I posted this on that "other C64 forum" just before it got unexpectedly shut down.� Even though I've blogged about it on my own Commodore site, I thought it was interesting enough to post here, as well.

I happened across a very interesting 1541 fast loader, called TurboDisk, by Don Lewis. It was originally published in issue #59 of Compute! Magazine, back in 1985.� According to the article, TurboDisk increased the 1541's LOAD speed by a factor of three times or more. What makes this fast loader stand out (at least for me) is that it's the only one I've seen that loads part of itself into the 1541's CPU, which works in tandem with the other portion running on the C64. I thought that was pretty cool! So, I just had to give it a try.

I've used turbo loaders for about as long as I've been using the Commodore64, but I've never really fathomed their inner workings.

One thing I don't understand is how some programs use loaders that take into account existing fast loaders (like DolphDos for instance) and some just don't. I can imagine some fast loaders just check for the existence of one and can shut themselves off. Is that how it works?�

Reason I ask is that I recently downloaded someone adaption of the C64 version of Elite, but flicker-reduced. The adaption was coded from the disassembled version available on Ian Bell's (one of the original programmers) website. So disk fast loader added, but sadly it doesn't work with DolphinDos. Clearly this loader doesn't check for existing loaders and additionally makes assumptions about loading routines that are in place.

..I imagine this fast loading is a complicated affair.
I have no idea how they work.  I always assumed it had something to do with the programmer(s) overcoming the known bugs in Commodore's 1541 architecture.

However I have been playing around with the Turbo Tape program a bit.  Although it eludes to speeding up the tape function, actually it seems to be some sort of data compression algorithm.  In order for it to work, you need to save your program using Turbo Tape.

Very interesting stuff.