Article Game review: Submariner Round-up
I just posted a new review of sorts, calling it "The Submariner Round-Up".   I've collected what I think are the best “bottom-up” submarine games for the C64 and do a brief comparison for each. I call them “bottom-up”, but you know them better as those games where you control a submarine at the bottom of the screen and shoot torpedoes up towards ships sitting at the top of the screen.

The games include Sea Wolf, Seawolf II, Seafox, Fire One and Seawolves.

https://www.my64.in.nf/doku.php?id=reviews:subroundup

Have you played any of these?  Do you favor any one over the other?  Feel free to share your thoughts below.
[-] The following 3 users Like sysop's post:
  â€¢ Baracuda, Mr SQL, NM156
I never even realized there was a Seafox as well. I tried it, it is not bad for a 1983 game. If I had learned to enjoy this game in the early eighties, I would probably still like it now. But the shooting controls are too iffy for me to get back to the game again. I do like Seawolf/Seawolf II the most. I agree Seawolves isn't anything like Seawolf. Seawolves is a fairly complicated shoot'em up. Seawolf is a competition game that you can play with your kids, grandpa or wife. It is more of a sporting event where you set the time and you can't get hit or anything. It's brilliant in its simplicity.
[-] The following 1 user Likes NM156's post:
  â€¢ sysop
I agree, Seafox would be a top notch game if the controls were fixed. But, whoever came up with the idea of strapping your resupply bundle to the back of the fish must have been on some pretty strong cough syrup! Big Grin

As I mentioned in my "review", I think identifying Seawolves as a remake of Sea Wolf is a dis-service to both games.
Liked reading the Submariner Round-up review. I think I played one of these but I am not sure which (not SEAWOLVES which looks very good). They remind me of Air Sea Battle for the 2600.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mr SQL's post:
  â€¢ sysop
(03-22-2024, 10:37 PM)Mr SQL Wrote: Liked reading the Submariner Round-up review. I think I played one of these but I am not sure which (not SEAWOLVES which looks very good). They remind me of Air Sea Battle for the 2600.

Hey, thanks!   Big Grin   Yes, I never played Air Sea Battle, but the video I watched seems to show it as a simplified version of Sea Wolf with a few variations in game-play (shooting ships, then shooting planes, then ship vs plane, etc.).
(03-23-2024, 12:35 AM)sysop Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 10:37 PM)Mr SQL Wrote: Liked reading the Submariner Round-up review. I think I played one of these but I am not sure which (not SEAWOLVES which looks very good). They remind me of Air Sea Battle for the 2600.

Hey, thanks!   Big Grin   Yes, I never played Air Sea Battle, but the video I watched seems to show it as a simplified version of Sea Wolf with a few variations in game-play (shooting ships, then shooting planes, then ship vs plane, etc.).

Yes Air Sea Battle is simpler but also a lot of fun. I liked your Star Ranger review too, seems like a mix of Scramble and Defender. I'll have to try that one:
https://www.my64.in.nf/doku.php?id=reviews:starranger
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mr SQL's post:
  â€¢ sysop