The list command
Many Years ago in a simpler time, before the internet as we know it today. I wrote a BBS program. i.e. the Advent BBS. The program included online games such as Lotto, Stock exchange, and Lehigh Downs (horse racing). Callers would log into the system, post and respond to the message boards then jump to the games to place their bets, buy stocks, or get their lotto tickets ( all with simulated money ). Yes that was many years ago.... i.e 1988
I wrote the program in basic, then compiled using a compiler. I have managed to recover both the ML version, and the Basic version from the original floppy's. On the vice C64 simulator the program starts but soon locks up or just stalls at a line number or other error. I understand that my little BBS is a thing of the past. I no longer have things like my C64, Epic fast load and ram expansion module. I also have not programed a c64 for years and years........... and years... 
The reason for this post is that I would like to list out my original program. When I wrote the program, I disabled the list command some how.  Today when I enter the command, the Emulator only responds with the word Advent  (name of my BBS). I have tried using poke 775,167 and others to try to re-enable the "list" with no success. I have also tried to use the C64list program but only get the below output:

0801: 47 08 01 00 9e 32 30 37 36 3c 43 54 52 4c 3e 3c|G....2076<CTRL><
0811: 43 54 52 4c 3e 3c 43 54 52 4c 3e 3c 43 54 52 4c|CTRL><CTRL><CTRL
0821: 3e 3c 43 54 52 4c 3e 3c 43 54 52 4c 3e 3c 43 54|><CTRL><CTRL><CT
0831: 52 4c 3e 3c 43 54 52 4c 3e 3c 43 54 52 4c 3e 41|RL><CTRL><CTRL>A
0841: 44 56 45 4e 54 00 00 00                                  |DVENT...

I am hoping that some one might know how I disabled the list command and if I could re-enable it. 

I appreciate the time folks take to read this post.

Cheers!
If its a BASIC program you might be able to open it from DirMaster. It just needs to be on a D64 disk image. If it works you should be able to clean out the control codes and save it back to disk.

https://style64.org/dirmaster

Without DirMaster:
I know you can embed control characters in your BASIC program like backspaces which eat chars as it is listed. Not sure if control codes are what is preventing it from displaying but if it is maybe you can use "LIST 1000-" (use whatever line number you think may exist past the control code lines).
[-] The following 2 users Like 8bitflynn's post:

(03-20-2024, 06:06 PM)8bitflynn Wrote: If its a BASIC program you might be able to open it from DirMaster. It just needs to be on a D64 disk image. If it works you should be able to clean out the control codes and save it back to disk.

https://style64.org/dirmaster

Without DirMaster:
I know you can embed control characters in your BASIC program like backspaces which eat chars as it is listed. Not sure if control codes are what is preventing it from displaying but if it is maybe you can use "LIST 1000-" (use whatever line number you think may exist past the control code lines).

Thank you for your help.

Neither of the two methods helped list the program. However, using DiskMaster I believe that the program is compiled basic. When attempting to view the file (auto). The Assembler view pops up. I don't know assembly language so don't know what is being displayed. My disk was labeled basic, but must be compiled basic. I did find that a couple of the sub programs the BBS uses that were in basic and could be read by DiskMaster.

I have no memory of what program, I used to compile the  basic programs. Therefore, do not know if the program can be de-compiled back to basic.

I actually have a print out of the basic program. Unfortunately the first page of this is missing, thus my desire to list the program again. As I read the program listing, I really don't understand it. It is horrible what 38 years can do to ones memory and knowledge.  Undecided

I have tried with out luck to run the program in VICE. It gets so far then gives up. Likely caused by resources not being available (like the 1670 modem, ram expansion, printer, etc.) Without the basic access, I have no way of telling where the concern might be. I realize that the program would not be fully functional, even if it did run (no modem, dialup line etc). But it would be a nice trip down memory lane to see the program come on line.  Rolleyes

Once again, I appreciate the help.
(03-23-2024, 01:25 PM)Y2kdancr Wrote: Neither of the two methods helped list the program. However, using DiskMaster I believe that the program is compiled basic.

I think it can only be one or the other; either it is Basic but uses a trick to hide the listing, or it is compiled Basic but then this trick would only hide a SYS command. If it is Basic, the file must surely be readable as ASCII outside the C64?
(03-20-2024, 02:18 PM)Y2kdancr Wrote: Many Years ago in a simpler time, before the internet as we know it today. I wrote a BBS program. i.e. the Advent BBS. The program included online games such as Lotto, Stock exchange, and Lehigh Downs (horse racing). Callers would log into the system, post and respond to the message boards then jump to the games to place their bets, buy stocks, or get their lotto tickets ( all with simulated money ). Yes that was many years ago.... i.e 1988
I wrote the program in basic, then compiled using a compiler. I have managed to recover both the ML version, and the Basic version from the original floppy's. On the vice C64 simulator the program starts but soon locks up or just stalls at a line number or other error. I understand that my little BBS is a thing of the past. I no longer have things like my C64, Epic fast load and ram expansion module. I also have not programed a c64 for years and years........... and years... 
The reason for this post is that I would like to list out my original program. When I wrote the program, I disabled the list command some how.  Today when I enter the command, the Emulator only responds with the word Advent  (name of my BBS). I have tried using poke 775,167 and others to try to re-enable the "list" with no success. I have also tried to use the C64list program but only get the below output:

0801: 47 08 01 00 9e 32 30 37 36 3c 43 54 52 4c 3e 3c|G....2076<CTRL><
0811: 43 54 52 4c 3e 3c 43 54 52 4c 3e 3c 43 54 52 4c|CTRL><CTRL><CTRL
0821: 3e 3c 43 54 52 4c 3e 3c 43 54 52 4c 3e 3c 43 54|><CTRL><CTRL><CT
0831: 52 4c 3e 3c 43 54 52 4c 3e 3c 43 54 52 4c 3e 41|RL><CTRL><CTRL>A
0841: 44 56 45 4e 54 00 00 00                                  |DVENT...

I am hoping that some one might know how I disabled the list command and if I could re-enable it. 

I appreciate the time folks take to read this post.

Cheers!

Hi, try using C64 Final Cartridge III Modul for the Basic List protection as it ignores all of them..
Otherwise if you can't get your own programs to work, simply share to get more help, maybe.
No clue if this helps, but I have another POKE which you can try if you don't mind affecting Run-Stop/Restore. It comes from Compute!'s Gazette November 1988, page 73:

Code:
POKE 808, 234                       Disable Run-Stop/Restore and List
POKE 808, 237:POKE 792, 71          Enable Run-Stop/Restore and List

HTH
--
LivingLaVidaRetro - Mastodon
38911 Bytes Free, unless I've had some caffeine.