Your top ten favorite Amiga games
Now that I have an Amiga emulator installed on my GP2X so I could play @aNdy_V 's game, I'm looking at trying some other Amiga games.  I am in the process of trying a few of the games that are included in one of the Evercade compilation cartridges, Team 17 Amiga Collection 1, like Alien Breed.  But, I'd like to know what some of your favorites for the system are, so I can give those a try, too.

Keep in mind that I'm playing these games on a handheld console, so games with lots of use of the keyboard probably won't be the best choices in this case.  Mouse use should be fine, as the emulator I'm using can switch between joystick and mouse inputs quite easily.
So far, I have recommendations to check out:
  • Hunter
  • Mid Winter
  • Apidya
  • Lotus II
  • Mortville Manor
  • Shadow of the Beast III

I also found out that the Amiga had a version of Syndicate, which I played on the PC way back when.  So, I'll be checking that one out, too.

Any other favorites from the group?
I have been thinking, I really don't know what my top ten would be. In any case it would include Lotus II and Turrican II.
Some other great games worth trying:
Hybris
Battle Squadron
Agony
The Settlers
It came from the desert
King of Chicago
[-] The following 1 user Likes NM156's post:

(04-23-2024, 07:43 PM)NM156 Wrote: I have been thinking, I really don't know what my top ten would be. In any case it would include Lotus II and Turrican II.
Some other great games worth trying:
Hybris
Battle Squadron
Agony
The Settlers
It came from the desert
King of Chicago

Thanks!  I downloaded It Came From the Desert yesterday.  It looks interesting and is what made me realize that the screen of the GP2X is probably going to be a problem for me with some of the games.  But, this afternoon I was able to find and figure out how to use the emulator FS-UAE.  It's more cumbersome than using VICE for the C64, but I've been able to get a few games going with it now.

The only thing is, as for a kickstart image, all I could obtain right now is a ROM for version Work Bench 1.3.  So far, none of the games I've tried have complained about it.
I can certainly imagine many non arcade Amiga games being a problem on such a small screen, they weren't developed for that.
If you can emulate the mouse with your PC mouse you will also be able to enjoy more games better like the Arkanoid type games and Lemmings. Try Crystal Hammer.
Contrary to popular belief, no commercial OCS game is going to give an issue with Kickstart 1.3. Even KS 1.2 is just fine, about the only difference between those is that 1.3 is able to boot off HD directly.
If you are going to use a Workbench environment on higher end Amigas with productivity software or AGA games it's a different story.

There are other compatibility issues though;

For OCS (standard) games select 68000 with 512k chip and 512k fast memory. +2MB extra fast is fine but rarely used.
A couple of poorly coded pre 1988 games require to turn off fast memory all together.
While many 3d games would benefit from a faster processor, it is only rarely supported. Instead of getting a better frame rate these games run faster so they just become unplayable or, more typically, just crash. Some games have been patched to use faster processors though.

AGA games need a 3.0 ROM at least, and 2MB chip ram. Adding 2MB fast will enhance performance considerably. The minimum processor is a 68020, there are some AGA games even that won't work on higher processors. AGA 3d games will be typically enhanced by a 030 or 040 processor.
(04-24-2024, 12:29 AM)NM156 Wrote: I can certainly imagine many non arcade Amiga games being a problem on such a small screen, they weren't developed for that.
If you can emulate the mouse with your PC mouse you will also be able to enjoy more games better like the Arkanoid type games and Lemmings. Try Crystal Hammer.
Contrary to popular belief, no commercial OCS game is going to give an issue with Kickstart 1.3. Even KS 1.2 is just fine, about the only difference between those is that 1.3 is able to boot off HD directly.
If you are going to use a Workbench environment on higher end Amigas with productivity software or AGA games it's a different story.

There are other compatibility issues though;

For OCS (standard) games select 68000 with 512k chip and 512k fast memory. +2MB extra fast is fine but rarely used.
A couple of poorly coded pre 1988 games require to turn off fast memory all together.
While many 3d games would benefit from a faster processor, it is only rarely supported. Instead of getting a better frame rate these games run faster so they just become unplayable or, more typically, just crash. Some games have been patched to use faster processors though.

AGA games need a 3.0 ROM at least, and 2MB chip ram. Adding 2MB fast will enhance performance considerably. The minimum processor is a 68020, there are some AGA games even that won't work on higher processors. AGA 3d games will be typically enhanced by a 030 or 040 processor.

Thanks for the tips.  I think this emulator supports all of the settings you mention.  I know that mouse emulation is supported.  I've discovered that there's a port of Secret of Monkey Island for the Amiga (another DOS game I once owned and enjoyed).  So, I've downloaded that and played a few minutes of it.  Looks and sounds great!

Here's a screenshot of one of the config menus:

As it happens, Secret of Monkey Island is the most popular Amiga game. There is even a Secret of Monkey Island II, which is the second most popular Amiga game Wink
I've only played a couple of Amiga games so far, but right now my favorite is Test Drive!  It seems as though you just can't take the 8-bit out of the Commodore owner.  Long live the C64 !!

But, I have a lot more to play and try out.  Apidya is a pretty nice shooter, I will say, and I look forward to getting more into "It Came From the Desert."  Seems like the kind of adventure mystery game I typically like to play. Thumbs Up

I know I probably shouldn't be, but now that I'm looking at the Amiga library, I'm surprised at how many of the old games I used to play on the PC also have an Amiga release.  There's quite a few titles that I enjoyed but have forgotten about.
As platformers go, Wolfchild is actually a pretty decent one. I saw a screenshot of it and decided it give it a try.